Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The American Accent: Pronunciation Of-the Vowels
12-08-2017, 04:41 AM
Big Grin The American Accent: Pronunciation Of-the Vowels
Many students of English have a distinct feature simply because they pronounce English with the vowels of these language. They make this mistake because the English vowels are 'something such as' the vowel sounds of their native language, but they're not similar!

It is inadequate to hear radio and TV. Many people will only hear the sounds of the indigenous language and will not learn how to articulate the different sounds of the new language including Engl...

The English Vowel SOUNDS

Many students of English have a definite feature because they pronounce English with the vowels of these language. They make this mistake because the English vowels are 'something similar to' the vowel sounds of the native language, but they are not the same!

It's insufficient to be controlled by radio and TELEVISION. Many people will only hear the sounds of their native language and won't learn to articulate the various sounds of a new language such as English.

It's useful to make use of a class with tracks of the language you are studying. An excellent one - and also economical - can be found at http://www.bookslibros.com/charlesieENGLISH.htm. A larger list of resopurces can be found in: http://www.goodaccent.com/accentbooks.htm

Let us look at the 'real' vowels which are contained in many languages. They are called real because they've mounted noise, like this of a note of well-tuned guitar. These vowels are produced with no interference from the lips, teeth or tongue. It's very important to understand that when we talk of the vowels a, e, i, o, u, we are talking of the vowel sounds, not of the lettersof the alphabet. This really is very important to keep in mind in English because the same letter often represents another sound in the English spelling. We shall indicate the sounds by enclosing them in brackets: /a/, /e/, /i/, /o/, /u/, and the words in quotes: 'a', 'e', 'i', 'o', 'u.'

In the next section, you will get an instant look at the English vowels that sound 'something similar to' the vowel sounds represented by the characters 'a', 'elizabeth', 'i', 'e', 'u' in many languages. In the rest of the book, we will have a look at them with increased depth and you will also be able to hear them pronounced. (For the guide but only available in Spanish see: http://www.bookslibros.com/TuCD.htm) We will also consider the other English vowel sounds that are peculiar to English and aren't present in many other languages.

These sounds of English are similar (not the same!) to the sounds /a/, /e/, /i/, /o/, /u/ in your language.

The English vowel of-the word marijuana is pronounced like the letter 'a' in lots of languages. Understand once and for-all that in some words the letter 'e' is pronounced like the 'a' within your language! That is exactly how it is. If you don't enjoy it, you'll not change the language. It's easier to work at your pronunciation from the beginning. This unique url website has numerous refreshing suggestions for the purpose of this activity.

The English 'e' in the word Might.

The English 'i' in-the word feet.

The English 'o' in the term target.

The English 'u' within the word moon

We'll focus on the five vowel appears as represented by the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA) as /a/, /e/, /i/, /o/, /u/. These are the pure vowel sounds that are within English just like in many other languages.

The very first pure vowel SOUND in English (represented by the letter 'a' in most languages) is represented by the letter 'o' In English. We repeat: you merely really need to get used to this. Including the English term lot is pronounced as if it were lat in other languages.

You open your mouth wide when you make this noise. That sound appear in the words father, vehicle, top, container and is German Vater, achtung, machen, etc, or the same sound as the Spanish words padre, carro, tapa, pata.

This sound is just a form of the English vowel sound /o/ (the 'short o ') and not of the /a/. Therefore the 'e' represents this sound more frequently than the 'a.' To avoid confusion it is good to use a book that's the symbols of the International Phonetic Alphabet, the IPA.

Sure, it is often better to tune in to a native speaker but sometimes there's no necessity one around. For example, when you lookup a word in the dictionary you'll know the dictionary has the IPA symbols how to pronounce it.

Obtain a good dictionary that uses the IPA such as the 'Longmans Basic Dictionary of American English' or the excellent 'Collins Cobuild English Dictionary for Advanced Learners' by cutting the right following long URL address and sticking it in your browser:

For your Longmans: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/det...nbookslibr

For your Collins: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/det...nbookslibr

For more on this matter, see: http://www.inglesparalatinos.com

Let's continue to another vowels /e/, /i/, /o/, /u/ or rather the sounds in English which can be represented by these letters.

These sounds in English aren't 'real', as in many other languages, because almost they often end with yet another sound. My father discovered tyler collins seo read about by browsing the Internet. They end up with a slight 'i' or 'u' sound according to which vowel it is. We will see this in more detail. Some teachers say that they've somewhat 'tail' by the end.

If you pronounce the /e/ sound in English with no little 'tail' at the end, you will not be pronouncing this sound correctly.

In the musical My Fair Lady, the teacher attempts to teach the pronunciation of the English /e/ with the expression, 'The rain in Spain falls mainly on the simple.'

Your mouth is extended to the sides when you make the /i/ sound. Remember this /i/ noise is seldom spelled with the letter 'i' in English.

There's very little 'end' after the sound of the /i/ in English in words including legs, pea.However, the /i/ is somewhat longer than in other languages. So you should exaggerate it and you will be almost right.

If you pronounce the vowel /o/ of the term phone (telephone) exactly like the sounds boy or lot in several languages (minus the 'end ') you'll be speaking with a marked feature. The /o/ sound in English isn't pure. You have to complete the vowel with the 'tail' of the little /u/ sound.

You've to experience your lips move as you pronounce the English /o/. They do not stay still as in other languages. As you finish the 'e' sound your lips make a round form like you offering a hug.

Similarly to the /i/ sound, there's very little 'tail' following the English /u/ sound.

You could have a rather good pronunciation by just prolonging the vowel.

Your lips are rounded once you make the /u/ sound.

Overview of the English Vowels

The five basic vowel sounds of many languages exist in English but with the following observations:

1. The vowel that is represented by the letter 'a' in many languages, more regularly appears in words with 'o.' This sound is pronounced without change in English. But, another vowels, /e/, /i/, /o/, /u/, each one is pronounced in a particularly English fashion. /e/ and /o/ have marked 'tails.' The /i/ results in an /i/ sound. And the /o/ finishes using a /u/ noise. The /i/ /u/ do not have tails, nevertheless they are lengthened.

2. English spelling has very little related to the sounds it represents. Or to include another way, English is not pronounced the way it is spelled.

The /a/ sound is the vowel sound of the English word pot.

The /e/ sound (always with the 'end ') can be spelled many ways: may possibly, weigh, they.

The sound /i/ (a bit prolonged) is employed in many different ways: legs, pea, area, receive.

The noise /o/ (having its /u/ end) is represented in these ways: mortgage, enemy, however, blow, owe.

The sound /u/ (just a little prolonged) shows up under in unforeseen ways in the English words moon and through.

Odd spelling in English! Right? Nevertheless the spelling in another problem! We'll arrive at it. For that time, just concentrate on the pronunciation. Identify more on an affiliated article directory - Navigate to this hyperlink: tyler collins seo post.

One way to remember is to think about when you speak English how you shape your moth. Try and imagine that you are smiling when you complete a word that ends with all the /i/ sound. When you complete the phrase Might you stretch your lips.

Equally, make the effort to think of giving a hug whenever you complete a word that ends with the /u/ sound. You end the sound of the /o/ within the word pass by puckering your lips like you were going to strike out a candle or give a hug.

Do not forget! We have been speaking of the vowel sounds, maybe not the characters of the alphabet that sometimes represent them. The word foot has the same /o/ sound while the words get, movement, nevertheless, and love. We'll have a look at spelling a bit more in other parts of the guide, 'Leer E-s Poder' durante http://www.bookslibros.com/muestra/muestra_index.htm. Dig up more on this related wiki - Click here: TM.

Meanwhile if you read Spanish you will get pages on Pronunciacin and Ortografa in http:/www.inglesparalatinos.com. You can even get our boletn in Spanish by going to: http://www.eListas.net/lista/leerespoder/alta.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply